"Nilla Pirunu Wellassak - Thutin Sapiri Janathawak"
"To be Excellent in Public Service through Good Governance Contributing Sustainable Development"
Co-ordinate and guide the activities of the Divisions and District level institution towards district development and to improve the performance so as to deliver the services efficiently and effectively in fulfilling aspiration of the government and expectation of the people in satisfying their needs with earn and concern and also with cost effectiveness, equity and speed.
- To improve the performance of divisional administration, coordination and facilitation of the functions of the National ,district, divisional level institutions
- To establish and share a system of values (result oriented attitudes, Accountability, Resource prudence, impartiality, transparency etc.) to make sure efficient service delivery to satisfy the needs of the public.
- To develop strategies to reorient mindset of existing public servants to response to people needs and formulate and implement new management concepts and systems for enhance productivity and quality in the public service, Identify training requirements of public sector personnel, facilitate and conduct training programmes
- Prudent management of physical and human resources in the district to make sure efficient, effective and formal administration.
- To collect revenues under the law efficiently and cost-effectively, providing courteous and effective service to the general public
- To coordinate and monitoring foreign and local funded projects / programmes , activities of local and international organizations to Make-sure that the NGOs conduct projects within the Legal framework of the country and to make sure maximum utilization of resources flows to district
Major Activities and Projects operating under District Secretariat
The main activities of the district secretariat can be categorized as follows.
1. Divisional Administration & Coordination
Co-ordination of government activities and performance of the functions delegated by law through officers and organizations at village and divisional level. Proper supervision and coordination of Divisional Secretaries and Grama Niladharies in order to provide efficient delivery services to the public.
2. Development Programmes
Implementation of the Decentralized Budget Programme, Implementing and monitoring of foreign funded Projects in the district. Promote enterprise development services among the small and medium scale industrialists by coordinating, complementing and supplementing the existing services
Implementation and monitoring of major infrastructure development programmes and implementing the policy decisions of the government and assist to bring back normalcy.
3. Regulatory Activities
Guiding Divisional Secretariats to provide satisfactory services to the people to get the National Identity card, Passport, Land permits, etc.
Conduct regular meeting every month to facilitate discussion and decision making in the following co-ordinating committees. District Co-ordinating Committee (DCC), District Planning Committee (DPC), District Agriculture Committee (DAC), District Rehabilitate Co-ordinating Committee (DRCC), District Housing Committee (DHC)
District Environmental Law Enforcement Committee (DELEC), District Price Fixing Committee (DPFC) etc..
4. Disaster Management and Relief activities
Prevent and mitigate humanitarian emergencies by proper co-ordination of activities
of state departments in the district. Preparation and implementation of District Disaster
5. Social welfare Programmes
Implementation of the government poverty alleviation programmes which provides financial and materiel assistance for poor families for their living and also provides financial and technical assistance to uplift living condition of the poor by empowering them.
Community based rehabilitation programmes, Social security programmes, and Provide active contribution to welfare of retired life public servants of the district who dedicated for public service by assuring benefit at the end of their services.
6. Revenue Collection
Collection of revenue to government through issuing various permits and licenses.
7. Religious and Cultural activities
Conducting the annual Esala perahera festivals of Katharagama Devalaya and Kotabowa devalaya, Medagama
Coordinate National Independence Day ceremony and other state ceremonies and district level.
8. Coordination, facilitation and monitoring of district level activities, projects,
human resources of various ministries, Departments and statutory bodies.
Performing all delegated functions of various ministries and departments efficiently and effectively to enable the people to get their services in the district without obstructions.
Ensure better understanding and relationship with ministries, department and other institution to avoid complex and delays.
9. Re-engineering of public sector work forces through the use of Information
Implementation of productivity improvement programmes, Conducting training programmes for public servants Etc.
Implementation of an efficient and human resource management system in the public service by formulating and managing human resource policies and regulations
10. Coordination and monitoring of activities of national and international non-government organizations and facilitation and guidance of private sector business service providers in the district
Co-ordinating the activities of the INGOO and NGO in the district to ensure efficient and impartial humanitarian services to the people.
- District Secretary serves as an advisor to the Chamber of Commerce Industry and Agriculture and other chambers in the Monaragala district.
- District enterprise forum has been formed under the chairmanship of District Secretary which aims to build up dialogue between Public, private and NGOO to establish a comfortable environment for businesses in the district